[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ferrite toriod chokes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:35:28 -0500
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: ferrite toriod chokes (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: ferrite toriod chokes (fwd)
> Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 7:11 PM

Kevin,
The spacing between windings is important, as the voltage developed
between adjacent windings can be quite large. Multi-layer coils
of this type can be real problems, as the inter LAYER voltage can
easily reach many kilovolts under certain conditions.

Keep in mind that when the coil is presented with an impulse, it will
respond by developing a large voltage across itself. Think in terms
of tens of kilovolts. If the voltage exceeds the breakdown rating
of the insulation then failure will often be catastrophic.

At these high voltages you want the windings insulated from the
core and from one another. You have to be extremely careful about
the END windings: if you get these too close together you will
experience an arc between these windings that will be really
nasty.

You can use very thin WIRE for the coils, but try to keep the
insulation as thick as possible! High voltage probe wire works
well, though the insulation limits the number of turns you can
wind. 1" diameter cores are very small. Look around for the
larger cores if possible.

Hope this helps,
Fr. Thomas McGahee