[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ferrite toriod chokes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:12:05 -0500
From: Kevin Wahila <wawa-at-spectra-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: ferrite toriod chokes

I just got some ferrite toroid cores today.  I have four with an O.D. of
1".  I wound one with a dozen or so turns of sinlge strand 22 gauge pvc
insulated wire.  My trusty meter read 3.58 mH.  Boy was I surprised!  Such
a difference from my two 1 1/2" by 10" PVC air core chokes wound with
hundreds of turns of magnet wire.  It took two of those to equal one of the
toriod cores.  Anyway, I am new to winding toroid cores.  I've read a bit
on insulating the core and inter-layer insulation.  If I were to increase
the turns to double the inductance, the wire would get bunched.  Is it a
problem if the turns touch each other? Is this where I would want to go to
another layer?  Also, is the wire I'm using sufficient?  I could use two
toroids per HV leg instead of using more windings on one.  Well, I guess
any information would would be of great help.

Thanks,
Kevin Wahila