[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Converter

From: 	bmack[SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, January 10, 1998 10:00 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Flyback Converter

You are delving into a very interesting and tricky subject perhaps
needlessly.
( I am refering to the Motorolla quote). Device input conjugates change
with
frequency.  For certain wide band applications , a compensation network
would be required to insure stable operation.  This is certainly not the
case
with TC's.  A simple series gate series resistor provides two functions.
Reduction of Q and current limiting to the gate ( check that data book for
Igmax) , especially if you are using a high performance driver.
You should also follow Allen's suggestions about the diode clamp
circuit-very important.

As far as efficiecy is concerned, I don't think it's even 70% on a flyback
( I'll check) due to the half sinsiod waveform etc.. BTW use a reverse
biased
schotkey diode  from drain to ground. this should reduce the stress on FETs
during the off cycle.

Running sparkless primaries in NY

Jim McVey