[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using sync gaps

<<
> John, for some, I guess the challenge is to produce the longest sparks with
> the least amount of power into the system.  For me, I rate the performance
of
> my coils by the longest sparks achieved for a particular size (diameter)
> secondary- regardless of the input power (within reason) - where I live
power
> is cheap.

> Ed Sonderman >>

Ed,

I'm not concerned about the cost of power.  My interest is efficiency
is from a physics standpoint of building things that work as well as
they can.  Suppose one wanted to produce a longer spark...for
instance 2000 feet long.  Efficiency would probably become quite
important as a practical consideration by then.  Lessons learned
at the lower powers could be used to scale upwards.

In a less extreme case, if you keep increasing your power, you
might get the point where your residential AC mains service can't
supply enough power to increase your spark length, then efficiency
will become important to you.

But I understand that different coilers have different goals.  Your
goal of producing the longest spark from a certain size or diameter
of secondary is as worthy as any other.  In fact, I recently posted
the results of a similar test I did in which I tried the get max spark
length from a small secondary wound with thin wire.

John Freau