[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil for rent?

A good coil, built from scratch, would be about $200. I estimate about 7-foot
streamers, but the construction process is fairly involved (you would have to
wind a power transformer). You might be able to put a small one together
with a
used NST for around $100, with sparks around 2 feet. However, I would
definitely not recommend a Tesla coil for use at a party. There's a massive
stupidity factor, as I call it, when you have people around who do not know
about the dangers of a coil. If you are going to build or use one, I would
definitely encase the primary in aluminum (be sure that it won't touch the
primary itself) to eliminate the danger of a streamer hitting the primary and
giving someone a fatal shock. I don't want to intrude on the creative process,
but I would recommend a Jacob's ladder instead of a Tesla coil. It would have
to be inside a Plexiglas case, of course. It looks more like something that
would be in a mad scientist's laboratory (they were part of the Frankenstein
set), and is safer and cheaper than a coil. Just run two metal rods from the
secondary of a NST, starting at about 1" apart and going to 3" apart.

Good luck!

--
           --Doug Brunner
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>