[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BL Saga

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi all,
>          I just did the charcoal trick again and there is no doubt
> that numerous bright spots appeared in the streamers. I switched the
> coil on and off a number of times but none visibly persisted at
> switchoff. The odd yellow spark also fell out of the streamers.
>
>       I have to correct something I earlier said also: I reported
> that I had found an error in the Corum's ITS Notes. There is indeed
> an incorrect formula in there but it appears that they used the
> correct one further down the track so their theoretical conclusion
> about resonator coherence time stands. The formulaic error may have
> been a typo or transcription error. However, I have still not seen
> resonator coherence happening on the scope despite numerous attempts.
> I stand by my other comments.
>
> Apologies all,
> Malcolm

  Malcolm,

I have noted a "resonator fill time" associated with the H2 thyratron
circuits -on my scope.  I have heard the Corums lecture on this and I
might assume this the the coherence interval.

It only occurs when there is zero swapping of energy back to the primary
(half cycle cut off - as in the H2 Thyratrons.)

This last weekend at the Teslathon here in Richmond, Dr. Mark Rzesotarski
& I noted it again with Mark's antenna setup modeled after Terry Fritz
suggestions.  It is a nearly full cycle lag. as the resonator builds to a
maximum voltge output.

In these systems the primary has no tuning effect at all as I have noted
before. Also, the decrement is slow and extends over about 50
oscillations with the big toroid on it. A lot of the coil Q is realized.
In addition, a lot of the initial energy is wasted without the beating.

On a different subject,  We also noted with my scope that my magnifier
11E which was run at about 1KW (reduced power) just prior to break out
went through about 4-5 beats before quenching.  Again, I have noted this
before here on this list.

Richard Hull, TCBOR