[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using sync gaps

<< but does it really beat a
> variable RSG? It's been posted recently that 200+ BPS
> provides optimum performance. With the 1800 rpm-4
> electrode, your only at 120 BPS. I have been using a
> synchro 1800 rpm-4 electrode RSG, but I think my system
> wants more breaks/second. Of course there's only one way
> to find out.  >>

Bart, all,

If anyone tries 120 BPS, the cap size must be matched to the
system, or all bets are off.  Folks just drop a sync gap into
their coil and expect great results.  Might happen, might not.
If the cap's too small, the TC will *need* a high break rate to
give a reasonable output spark.  Since 120 BPS is a low break
rate, a larger cap is needed to keep the input power the same.
Then there's the resonant charging aspect.  Sync gap TC's
require more careful designing than other gap types.  If you've
got power to spare, raising the break rate of any 120 BPS TC
will increase the spark output.  This is not the question.  The
question is efficiency.

John Freau