[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What dielectricis the champion?

Dan, I posted many moons ago regarding Ultem as a
dielectric.
I pasted (<--is that a word?) the old post below.
But Robert Cressler's post about (UHMW-PE) was
intersting.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Boombast99-at-aol-dot-com
>
> I've been experimenting with different designs of capacitors for TC use and
> other HV-DC applications.I'm aware of the classic plastic and ceramic
> dielectrics so I'm wondering if you Super-slueths know of any exotic super
> dielectrics both for AC and/or DC i.e. in K-value and HV breakdown capacity?
>               I get by with a little help from my friends.
>     Dan

<old post snip>
I was looking through
a catalog from Polymer Corporation and came across
"Ultem" which
has some very interesting properties.
* Dielectric Strength: 830V/mil
* Dielectric Constant: 3.15
* Dissipation Factor: 0.0013

Some of the key benefits as stated by Polymer
Corporation are:
* High heat resistance
* Exceptional flame retardance - UL 94-V-O rated
* Exceptional chemical resistance
* Low smoke
* High dielectric strength
* Low dissipation factor
* Stable dielectric constant
* Outstanding mechanical properties
* Excellent machinability
* Transparent (Amber)
* Performs in continuous use to 340 degrees F

It comes standard in 24" x 48" plates with a thickness
range of
1/32"  through 3".

The cost (I don't remember actual $) put an end to this
post when I had a material planner call for a quote. I
do remember my mouth dropping wide open though.

FWIW, Bart