[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Finding the illusive NST

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: AuroraOne-at-webtv-dot-net
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> It may be a common experience, but I am having an enormous amount of
> diffculty finding a neon sign transformer.  I live in California, and
> for some reason, that sort of thing is just incredibly hard to come by
> here.  I have tried searching the internet, and maybe I'm just not
> looking in the right places, but I haven't had any luck finding a
> transformer at a reasonable price.
> I have also searched through the telephone book for any listings I could
> find for neon lighting repair shops.  Not surprisingly, that has turned
> up absolutely nothing!  It seems as though neon lighting just isn't a
> prevelent thing here.  (Maybe I should try looking in Las Vegas!)  The
> only place I found which may carry an NST wanted $180 for it!  I was
> hoping I might be able to find a used or surplus transformer at a cheap
> price.  What am I to do?
>      Can anyone help me locate an NST, or perhaps have a used one they
> would be willing to part with at a reasonable price?
> Thanks!
>
> Chris T.

Where are you located in California? Look in the yellow pages under
"Signs" and start calling.  You could also try www.neonshop-dot-com, which
has a whole host of links to various mfrs and dealers. Or, call the mfrs
(Thomas register at library has phone #s, or search web) and find out
local dealers.

Certainly, in the Los Angeles area, there must be a dozen places to buy
new transformers. A 15 kV, 30 mA unit will set you back about $80,
retail.