[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Here pig pig pig (unpotting)

>Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>I have tried the frozen neon idea too, but didn't have very good luck with
>it.  I hack sawed slots in the case and folded the sides down to get the
>case off.  Breaking off the cold tar usually rips off the secondary coil
>wires and sometimes rips off the paper and first layer of wire on one or
>both of the secondary coils.  Then the coils have to be removed and repaired.

If I remember right, one freezes the neon, then puts a short across the
secondary while applying power the primary. After a few minutes (like 20 or
30 maybe?), the tar surrounding the core is very soft, if not melted. Then
big chunks fall off and one cleans the neon as though it had been
completely melted in the oven.
Hope this helps,
Dan