[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparklength inquiry

Greg,

Tesla List wrote:

> From Greg Leyh;
> If this equation matched your coil performance, I would say
> that it's largely due to chance.  The first two equations
> Vs = sqrt(Cp/Cs) and Vs = sqrt(Ls/Lp), are incorrect.
> They should read Vs/Vp = sqrt(Cp/Cs) and Vs/Vp = sqrt(Ls/Lp),
> respectively.

Absolutely! Typo on my part (I left out Vp above - but
did use it in my calculations). I also agree that the
equation in the end matching my coil performance is
absolutely by chance. Or maybe I was just manipulating
it to match, which is highly probable the case.

> Also, efficiency does not affect the relationship between
> Es and Vs, and  Es = .5 * Cs * (Vs * eff.)^2 / 1000
> should read simply Es = .5 * Cs * (Vs)^2.

Yes, I know the equation. Here's where I was trying to
input efficiency into the picture. Efficiency should be
realized as the energy that was used and not dumped back
into the system, so Es seems the place to park it. Your
right, efficiency should not be placed as the effiency
of the voltage. I wonder if efficiency shouldn't follow
the breakrate though? Maybe Es is putting it in too
soon.

> The equation 'Ebps = Es * BPS' is also not valid, since Ebps
> has units of energy, and the quantity Es * BPS is in watts.
> Power and Energy are routinely confused, it seems.

>From this and John's post, I think you've made it clear
that BPS changes the watt-second equation to a
power-time equation. It probabably makes sense to
calculate power and divide BPS into to it to derive
watt-seconds and then derive sparklength. We would have
at least Vs and BPS accounted for.

> Finally, the equation  (Vs/1000/65)^1.43  is incorrect
> for Tesla Coils, since both Vs *and* BPS are first-order
> contributors to the total spark length of a real coil.

Yes, that's why I was trying to manipulate BPS into the
Es equation above to accomodate for the bps
contribution. No luck. After the post I threw in some
high bps values which I had not done before, and the
sparklength was "dreamy", but not realistic, at least on
my coil.

> Sorry to nit-pick so much!

Are you kiddin? I appreciate it. Someone's got to bring
me back to earth from time to time.

Thanks,
Bart