[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC Supply

Greg L. wrote just recently commenting on the 'lack-of' viability of DC-HT
supply for coiling using single-phase supplies.

No argument, just a few comments / questions.

Presumably, with 3-phase supplies DC is OK as you can "fill-in" the valleys
which would otherwise render useless many presentations of the RSG.

Understand & accept async-RSG better than sync-RSG, as allows wide range of
BPS and hunting for the optimal F(bang) for a given system.

I am not EE based, but seem to remember it is possible to retard the phase
angle of a mains supply.  Is this true ?   (or am I really losing my mind
as the wife thinks)

IF SO .......

Why not use a number of NSTs at different phase angle.  Rectify each for a
somewhat lumpy DC-HT supply.  Then try with async-RSG.

If tried.  Would the diode-tubes help protect NSTs from return spikes ?
_________________________

Let me take this further.  I am currently building a larger coil, which
would appreciate more bang than my current supply, but I'm not keen (threat
of divorce) on getting a PP.

Have genuine 3-phase to my house to supply a large air-conditioner.  Could
use this, but will need a friendly electrician to supply parallel outlets
with same.  IF I could phase shift AC supply to 3 NSTs (propose 10 kV / 120
mA each) then rectify this, seems this would be a good solution.

Comments welcomed.

Regards,

Mark Finnis					Hm:  61 8 8289 5205
Consultant, Intensive Care Unit			Wk:  61 8 8222 5042
Royal Adelaide Hospital				Fax: 61 8 8223 6340
Adelaide  SA  5000,   Australia			Mbl: 041 2324268
http://www.health.adelaide.edu.au/icu/