[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 43" First light! - Dead Transformers :-(

At 07:12 19/09/98 -0600, you wrote:

>We did have a protection network in place but it was poorly
>constructed and "blew itself up".  We had been operating without it when we
>got
>the primary/secondary strikes.  Impatience :-(
>
>I am looking for suggestions for a good protection system for this coil.  I
>will
>have 4 more NSTs available so I should be able to operate with 4-7
(120-210ma)
>depending on how many I can repair.  I am considering unpotting them and
>puting them in oil.

I run  a similar system, two 15 kV / 60 mA NSTs.

I use a protection circuit as advised by Malcolm Watts

See:

	http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis/current_coil.htm

	scroll down to see both circuit & parts used ;-)

The original 1K resistors where rated at 50W (3 of 17W wire-wound).  I have
since replaced these with 100W versions mounted on heat-sink which are far
better (just be careful with insulation from heat-sink !!!).

Cheers,

Mark

http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis