[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Our friend the FCC

  Greg, I don't think it would be needed at all, and
even if  it was I don't think any device that doesn't put
out a "pure note" i.e. "DC"  would be legal anyway,
a pure DC powered coil operated in a CW mode
(tube coil) *might* be legal providing the harmonic
output and in-band spurious products were within
the specified limits required at the operating
frequency. I would think anything that radiates
useable power (receivable) less than 100 feet
would not be a concern of the FCC.
  Heck, they don't have the manpower to keep
track of what they are responsible for let alone
a Tesla coil, they MAY respond if enough people
complained about a coils operation, but I
would doubt it.

Mark Graalman TCBA#1399  (WB8JKR)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:15:51 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>> Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>>
>> Greg,
>>     I have a copy of the frequency allocation chart put out by the
>FCC.  It
>> shows several ranges of frequencies that are used by amature radio
>buffs
>that
>> are probably ok to run a TC at.  There are also several Maritime
>frequencies
>> that might be ok if you are nowhere near the ocean(don't know for
>sure
>> though).  I have this chart at work so I cannot give you specifics
>on this,
>> but could send you a copy if you wish.
>>     The only "for sure" frequencies that you would not have a
>problem
>with is
>> from 0 to 10kHz.  For some reason this is no man's land and the FCC
>would
>not
>> bother you if your coil ran in this region.  That, of course, would
>mean
>> making an incredibly large secondary, but who knows? it might make
>for one
>> killer coil.
>
>That is an interesting thought... 10kHz is realistic, but there will
>be
>harmonics and whistlers in the arcs as well.  Although the TC isn't
>really
>a transmitter at these freqs, it is a near-field interference source.
>

>Question:  Would a device that produces substantial near-field
>interference
>at 9.9kHz require FCC approval?
>--
>

>-GL
>www.lod-dot-org

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]