[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 40 Amp variac ballast

In a message dated 9/18/98 5:45:37 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Why is it always a variac. Can't you use an ordinary transformer. They are
>  lot more plentiful and expendable, especially 3 phase ones that I usually
>  throw away.
>
>  jim heagy

 Jim

  Yes, you can use transformers, that's all I use on 1 to 15 kVA non shunted
transformers.  After all, a mH is a mH.  I do rewind them though, sometimes
the original wire is OK, sometimes it needs larger wire.   Many taps are
brought out for different inductance points.  Some I switch with contactors or
large rotary switches, others I simply tap with bolts or wire nuts when I find
the right tap.

  I get a lot of burnt up fluorescent lamp ballasts at work (277 volt, 80 watt
units) and save the laminations that are the same.  (Different brands,
different core shapes)  Then they are stacked together and wound with #12 THHN
wire for Tesla Coil ballasts.
  Several ballast cores were made from steel banding rolled up in a toroid
shape, I know of other coilers which also use this method.

 I'm also cheap when it comes to finding things that work for coiling!

Kevin E.