[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>

>   The BPS knob is _mandatory_, as
> there is fun stuff above as well as below the "critical value".
>
> I have also found that this BPS "critical value" depends
> considerably upon the physical scale of the coil, perhaps due
> to the squared/cubed law at work on the lifetimes in the ion cloud.
> Finally, an effect that encourages increasing the scale of a coil!!
> --
>
> -GL
> www.lod-dot-org

  Wow!  Deja Vu.  When this list was young,  I noted the possible
squared/cubed function as relates to spark formation and large systems!
Greg is discovering that SEEMING bit of hyperbole.

Also I have always spoken for a full range of variable BPS rates to
seaarch out that "sweet spot" for longest sparks on really big or high
power systems.  The Sync gap severely limits performance at the top end
of big systems.  You just can't EXPLORE or EXPERIMENT   with it!

Greg has access to the 3 phase which most of use can't effectively get
to, but he is right here also.  The best we might do to hit this on
single phase is run pure, ultra stiff, DC!  A costly choice, but it
could be done.

Richard Hull, TCBOR