[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

  Greg -

  I think you are taking too much for granted by assuming the TC primary
cap energy is not changing when the breaks are changed. This parameter
should actually be measured. However, I agree that the spark length depends
on the number of breaks.

  In my TC Construction Guide I show the following equation (modified) -
  watts seconds = .5 x Cp x Vp^2 x BKS/EFF
  It is obvious from this equation that the total watt seconds will
increase as the breaks increase and the sparks increase.

  The calculations to obtain the watts per foot of spark using your data
are as follows -

  Your estimated 76 watt seconds is from -
  joules = .5 x .225 x 10^-6 x 26000^2 = 76 watt seconds

  This gives total watt seconds -
  1 Break = 76 x 1 = 76 watt seconds
  80 Breaks = 76 x 80 = 6080 watt seconds
  350 Breaks = 76 x 350 = 26200 watt seconds

  The above does not take losses into account. The losses would approx
double the above -
  1 Break = 76 x 2 = 152 watts/2.5 = 60.8 watts per foot of spark
  80 Breaks = 6080 x 2 = 12160 watts/4 = 3040 watts per foot of spark
  350 Breaks = 26200 x 2 = 53200 watts/25 = 2128 watts per foot of spark

  It is my understanding that these were not controlled sparks so they
cannot be compared with that type of spark. However, your data does not
appear to agree with what other coilers have found with their coils using
the data I have collected. I believe this is because you assumed the TC
primary cap energy did not change when the Breaks were changed.

  What are your comments?

  John Couture