[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

<<
> Ok John, how about expanding on the second yes? (you
> knew I'd ask).
> Bart

Bart,

Not only can the spark be shorter if the toroid is too large, the
spark can be nonexistant.  A too large toroid will simply have a
radius of curvature that is too large (too high a voltage hold-off) to
let the sparks emit.  However a sharp point can be attached to the
toroid to let the sparks emit anyway.  As the toroid size is increased,
the point will have to be made longer, because it will tend to be
shielded by the proximity of the toroid.

I generally do not run my coils with these long sharp points, but I
do use shallow bumps that I use to direct the spark in certain
directions.  Even with these bumps, the sparks shorten with a too
large toroid.  I have not tested how the spark would behave with a
too large toroid and a long point that would tend to let the sparks
emit easily, perhaps someone else has tested this and can
respond.

In the case where the sparks
do not emit, the quench will be degraded, more energy will be lost
in the gap, and the system will ring for a long time, rather than being
damped quickly by the streamer loading.

John Freau