[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: win tesla vs. JHCTES

to: Bill

NST's use a magnetic link across the core that will cause the magnetic
field to take a new path of least resistance as the sec is shorted.  The
link is tapped with a small hammer during testing to set it to the proper
full load current and then epoxied in place.  If you tear and NST totally
apart you can move this link for slightly more current, say 75 ma, and
usually without overloading the xmfr on short duty cycles.  Next, drop the
core/coil assembly into a plastic tupperware tank filled with xmfr oil and
you have just improved the performance of your coil as caps in small Tesla
oscillators just "adore" more current.  This will visibly improve your
output spark distance.

You are correct -- NST attached to resonant charging systems do produce
more current, however, if you push them too hard they will fail as they are
only really designed to hit full nameplate potential long enough to ionize
the gas in the neon tube, and then they drop back to 600-700 volts and
serve as a current source to drive the plasma.  In Tesla service they are
called on to continually replenish the cap to full value as dictated by
spark gap setting.  When using NST's it's a good idea to keep total gap to
less than 0.200 or less.  Also be sure to use RF protection between xmfr
bushings and spark gap.  There is considerable information on these
procedures in the archives.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net