[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Hi Cabbott,
I currently don't beleive the discharge is "absorbed" by
the toroid even though John F. hinted that too large of
a toroid will decrease sparklength. I'm not sure (yet)
what to make of this (still contemplating the thought).
However, I do think a toroid will improve sparklength of
your specific coil. Your decrease in sparklength I don't
think is due to the toroid. My best guess would be the
small capacitance and/or tuning after the toroid has
been put in place.

Bart

> Bart, i do believe that if a toroid is too large that it will absorb the
> discharges into it's capacitance, hindering output.  i have tried this
with my
> 60 mA coil and it holds true.  i am using a cheap salt water cap that gloes
> like
> a light when operating... which is my major loss factor of my system.
this in