[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coupling

to: Bart, Bob

Another concern with "racing sparks" is the method used to clean the sec
coil.  I've seen people use anything from Windex to "409" cleaner and give
absolutely no concern as to what additives these cleaners might have.  When
you are dealing with hundreds of kiloVolts you have to consider all these
properties to prevent surface tracking.  We use only alcohol for all our
sec coil cleaning -- no commercial cleaners or waxes whatsoever.  We
started to discover these "cleaner effects" while cleaning Van de Graaff
insulating towers as the small microAmperes of leakage current down the
tubes would invisibly drain all the charge off the terminal faster than the
belt could replenish the charge.  Many experimenters never clean their
coils -- or very seldom do.  With many kV's looking for a ground a lot of
dust (carbon based material) looks like an excellent path.  Keep your coils
covered with a cloth material and remove prior to operation.  Clean sec
coils with alcohol sprayed on a lint free cloth.  Also, don't operate for
at least 5 minutes until all the alcohol has evaporated or you may get
another "interesting effect" you don't want.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net