[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   John F -
>
>   I was happy to hear that someone had performed the input watts test.
> There are several possibilities why you did not find an increase in the
> input watts when you increased the toroid size. One reason could be that if
> you were not using controlled sparks the varying streamers would make it
> difficult if not impossible to correlate the streamer energy with the input
> energy (watt seconds).

There is probably a very good reason why changing the toroid didn't
change coil power - it wasn't effecting a change of BPS and it wasn't
effecting a change of Ep.

>   When you say that the larger toroid holds more energy for fewer streamers
> do you mean that the toroid is storing energy from more than one bang? As
> you know I mentioned this in a past post and there were so many members
> that felt this was impossible they almost convinced me that I was wrong.
> However, it may be that energy is stored in the electric field surrounding
> the coil but not in the toroid.

It would be a good idea to get an oscilloscope onto it and see for
yourself regarding the (lack of) cumulative energy with successive
bangs. The evidence is unequivocal.

Malcolm

>   Even with controlled sparks the increase in input watts when the toroid
> is increased may be hard to detect if the input is varying. A small
> increase in the spark length does not require much energy. What were your
> input and output conditions when you made your tests?
>
>   John Couture
<snip>