[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cap Size & RSG

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Up to know I havenīt built any large
TCīs (> 1kVA input). My current project is about to break this "rule". (8.3" x
38" secondary)
I havenīt done any work on rotaries yet. This will be my first. I am thinking
about tinkering with a sync rotary under argon, somewhat like Terry is doing
on his static gap.

BTW: My 15kv and 9kv values in my earlier psots were examples only.

Over here (in germany) you cannot get hold of a pig (at least not under 75 to
100 kVA)  I even tried the DB, which is the german train company: no go. I
sort of doubt if my neighbors would like if I did use a 75kVA pig (grin).
NSTīs suck over here because they are limited (by law) to 8kv and a  lousy
25mA. PTīs are lousy too because they are just used to measure the voltage.
They have a dissapation factor of about 50 watts

My idea is to use 6 MOTS rated at 2.3kV and 700mA each (running under oil).
The only MOTīs I found being able to withstand the stress of a jacobīs ladder
are from Gardner (U.K.). I have wired up 5 of these (dry, no oil yet) with no
arc overs or corona noticable (in the dark) If I add a sixth one (different
type as I donīt have enough of the Gardner type yet) a small spark was noticed
between the iron core and the primary. But it was a pretty powerless spark
(light blue in color and not very much current flowing I would guess) . All
cores STILL have one side of the hv conneced. I am thinking of "CTing" the
setup (where the 3rd and 4th xformers meet) and earthing this point. This
should cut down the load the isolation has to carry. All transformers will be
mounted isolated from each other on heavy plastic. The whole unit (pretty
small as I stacked em 3 decks of 2 each) will be submersed in Shell Diala X. I
have a variabel inductance from an old welder (like a variac except it only
has two connections) which will be able to handle the power (altho I will
current limit it to 4 - 5kVA). I was thinking of possibly wiring each deck of
two xformers in series (2 x 230V) and the three decks in parallel because my
home has access to 400 volt 3 ph (3 x 230) mains. I would run the setup across
two phases. That way each xfomer would get 200 volts, which wouldnīt cut the
output too low but it would cut down on my input current requirements.

You guys wanna know what a ceramic 0.1 uF cap costs over here? Around $2000 to
$3000 !! Really crazy.

Iīm not sure of my cap yet, because making a 0.1615 uF poly cap wonīt be easy
(or small for that matter).

Comments, anyone?

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard