[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: has anyone touched a PIG

>    Yes, I have personal shorted myself across a pig. It was a few months ago
>(around 6 I think) I was working alone (stupid I know) with my 11Kv 16KVA
pole
>pig. The ballast was set to allow it to operate at full power, heating
>elements
>totalling 32Kw, so the tranny could produce 1/2 volts at 2x cureent (around 3
>amps) into a matched load.
>    I went to adjust the safety gap, and touched both terminals at once, I
was
>thrown about 6-10 foot across the room, and knocked unconcious for something
>like 1/2 hour, my heart was a-rhythmic for over a day.
>    I do have an abnormally high tolerance to electric shocks, I find mains
>shocks an irritation rather than a danger, if it wasn't for that then I'm
sure
>I would have been killed.
>
>--
>*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
>*Tel. 01761 300615                             *     coroner....     *
>*For Email use PGP where possible.             *    Die strangely!   *
>*http://www.legion-elec.demon.co.uk/index.htm  *                     *

Yikes Steve...glad you are still with us!!!  It sounds like it was
extremely lucky that you were using resistive ballast as opposed to
inductive, so that you didn't have the full 11kV across your chest.  That
probably would have killed, let alone the 14.4kV and 19.9kV pig voltages
commonly found here in the states.

Safe coiling to everyone!

Charles Brush