[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

Tesla List wrote:

> Has anyone tried out gaps at higher preassure? I'd assume quenching
> would get better as the recombination time of the ions were lowered.
> Higher
> preassure would most surely do that. At higher preassure the atoms are
> packed more closely and possibility of collitions needed for recombination
> would rise.

    At work we have a hydrogen spark gap with operates at up to 30atm
pressure, it is not used with tesla coils, but it is in a capacitor discharge
circuit, and the quenching is INCREDABLE, we can operate it with primary
energies of 10's of joules per discharge with rep rates over 5KHz, and even
then it is not the gap which is the limiting factor, but the system it is
driving.