[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coupling coefficient - Best Method

  Terry, All -

  The test that Terry shows for mutual inductance (Lm) and described below
is a good one and was shown in Tesla's Colorado Springs Notes. I show this
test in my Tesla Coil Design Manual complete with an example.

  This type of test gives the mutual inductance so the coupling is found
indirectly. The test is somewhat novel in that it solves a differential
equation. Tesla obviously understood differential equations.

   V = Lm di/dt          Lm = V dt/di

   Lm = Vp/(6.283 F Is)      K = Lm sqrt(Lp Ls)

  It is amazing that such a simple test can solve a differential equation.
Most diff equations require a lot more work to solve. The wiring diagram I
show gives the mutual inductance on the multimeter directly in microhenries.

  I show a 12 volt light bulb for a ballast because I use a 120 to 6 volt
transformer for the test so the non linearity of the low voltage lamp is
less critical. This makes the test safer because of the low voltage. I
agree, however, that the proper linear resistance would be better.

  This test is great for finding the mutual inductance. However, one fault
I find with using this test to determine the coupling is that two
additional tests are required to find Lp and Ls. This brings in more test
errors that affect the accuracy of the answer found for the coupling. I
believe the test I show for finding the coupling directly is simpler and
more accurate. An example is shown in one of my books.

  John Couture