[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First light, poor performance, etc

Regarding the 14" spark from the pole pig and static gaps,   I looked
back at one of my early videotapes and saw that I got 54" + sparks from
a 5kVA, 7.2kV, pole pig TC, with a simple 2 or 4 section crude static gap
with no air blast or fan.  I used inductive ballast to control the pig.  The
capacitor was .078uF, the primary was about 9 turns of 1/4" copper
tubing, and the toroid was 6" by 26".  The secondary was 7" by 19"
wound with # 25 awg magnet wire.

I am not suggesting that this is a good way to build a coil, I'm just
saying that reasonable sparks can be obtained from a pole pig using
a *very* crude static gap.  Again, this was early work from a number
of years ago, before I went on to rotary gaps, etc.

Let the sparks flow !!!
John Freau