[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salt Water Poly Caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:04:34 -0800
From: "Antonio C. M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Salt Water Poly Caps (fwd)

Gary Weaver wrote:

> So people use salt water caps in glass bottles which has a power loss of
> about 50%. So I have a new idea.  Polyethylene is much better than glass and
> soft drink bottles are made of polyethylene.  I know the thickness of the
> soft drink bottles are only about .010 thousands so about 10 bottles will
> have to be connected in series to get a good voltage rating.  Has anyone
> tried this?  Can anyone thing of a container that is made of poly and is
> thicker than a soft drink bottle?

I think that material is mylar, not polyethylene. About voltage rating,
-one- bottle is more than enough for a few 10 kV. I have tested that material
with 100 kV and it never ruptured. But it deforms badly with even a small
amount of heat, so do not operate a capacitor at high power for long time.
It is easy to find plastic containers made of better materials in all sizes
at your nearest supermarket. A bottle is just a convenient shape, and glass
may be somewhat lossy, but has a good dielectric constant and resists heat.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq