[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

primary/sec clearance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 98 00:37:36 GMT
From: yubba <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: primary/sec clearance

As this is my first post to this list I would like to say hello to everybody. I
am just starting my first coil and have just finished the primary. I am using 8
millimetre (3/8") copper tube and have gone for a saucer shape  with a 30 degree
angle with spacing of 8 mm between turns. When I worked out the spacing to
obtain a true spiral I allowed 25mm between the secondary and the primary but
this seems to have grown to 30 mm at the start of turn 1 to 50 mmm at the start
of turn 2. Do I need to tighten this up at all or will it be ok. My tubing comes
in 10 metre coils so I have got 10 turns. My secondary is  pvc pipe 110 mm by
600 mm. I havent wound the secondary yet but will be using .6mm wire and going
for 800 turns.I have made a RQ type spark gap and will be using a 9kv 50 mA
neon. The cap question has not yet been addressed  as I am still undecided
between a flat plate using old litho plates and A4 poly paper protectors of
which I have lots or a rolled cap if I can find any suitable ally. Aluminium
Roof flashing does not seem to be used in the UK much. They still use lead
according to the local (large) building materials supplier. I have a vacuum pump
so it seems to be down to the container, as someone pointed out recently. Any
help would be much appeciated. Thanks for the wealth of info already out there,
as bill wysock pointed out without e mail we would be very much on our own and
in the dark.

bob golding Lightning without rain
bob-at-clara-dot-net