[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help on Transfo (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:28:53 EST
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Help on Transfo

<< I'm a totaly beginner in Tesla Coil.
 I've found a 10 Kv 100mA neon sign transformer (but I don't buy it for
 the moment).
 Do you think it's too big for making my first coil ( too difficult, too
 much work )
 else I'll try a little one ?
 Is it possible to connect different
 transformers in //  (difference of V and mA) ?
 So what's a cool coil diam. to start ?
 I think I'll use salt water caps with 0.0318 uF (at 50Hz).

 Thanks in advance.
 Sorry for my bad English.
 Jean Liautaud - Nice - France.

Jean,

Your English is much better than my French.  The 10 kv 100 ma transformer is a
great find if the price is not too high.  If you are serious about Tesla
coils, I would get it and save it for later.  For your first coil, you might
want to use one 10 kv to 15 kv transformer at maybe 30 ma.  Yes, you can use
these transformers in parallel.  The rated voltage must be the same (ie both
10 kv or both 12 kv, etc) and the current would be additive.  You must phase
them properly.

A good first coil would be: secondary 3.0" dia, #28 guage wire, winding length
13".  Primary I.D.  5.0", 14 turns wound with #10 bare copper wire, or 1/4"
soft copper tubing with .25" to .35" between windings.  Use a .005 ufd
capacitor and a 2" x 12" toroid.

Have fun.

Ed Sonderman