[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi layered tesla coil

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 25, 1998 10:41 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Multi layered tesla coil

Breakdown of sf6 at 1 atm is about 100 kV/cm
breakdown of oil at 1 atm is about  150kV/cm (transformer oil)

Looks like it would work, providing the oil penetrates the tiny holes and
interstices of the windings. A vacuum pump might be useful for
impregnation. Also, oil breakdown gets a lot worse if there is any
dissolved water. And, of course, SF6 is a lot less dense (1/2 lb/cu ft as
opposed to 6 lbs/cu ft).