[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

----------
From:  Jim Fosse [SMTP:jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, March 21, 1998 9:54 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

>----------

Mark,

Yes, imagine to my sagrin (sp) when I was holding a inductor a quarter
inch away from my rotary ( with 2 magnets TAPED! into the lip of the
conducting ring) that I found it was spinning at 7K+ rpm. After a few
expletives, I killed the power.  Then I found that the G forces had
driven them under the lip which made removing them very difficult.

>I have not built a rotary yet either. I am going to try to use some large
>(industrial) saw blades. I have a bunch of large blades, many tungsten carbide
>tipped and I fogure they should be pretty sturdy. If anyone has already tried
>this with disasterous results, please let me know.

Hi Jim,

	I tried this 2 years ago with an 8" skill saw blade. Once the
arc struck, I could not quench it. The distance difference between the
tips and the body of the blade was to small. I even broke off all but
4 of the tips, it still wouldn't quench. Now, if your industrial saw
blade has a large enough ???? (I don't know the word for the space
between cutting teeth) then it might quench.

Then again, with poor ballasting, I've power arced my 8" diameter
rotary gap all the way around! Suddenly, everything goes quite!  Just
1 beautiful circular arc.

	let us know what you find,

	jim	(in Hayweird;)