[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 18, 1998 3:59 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Oddball Oudin Coil

to: Antonio

It seems to be more of a geographical issue -- if you live in France, Mr.
Oudin invented the RF transformer and if you live in the US then Tesla did
it.  Other common examples are the Ruhmkorpf induction coil which was
entered into a major Paris exhibition and won the 50,000 franc prize
complete with major European recognition -- in spite of the fact Charles
Page was producing induction coils with sparks up to 16 inches long almost
5 years prior to Ruhmkorpf's entry into the field.  In Italy, Marconi
invented radio, and in the US the patent goes to Tesla, Oliver, and Lodge
(2 britts) with shared recognition for their individual efforts.  The major
problem here isn't fraud at all -- just a lack of rapid communication
especially during the time periods these inventions were developed.  Tesla,
of course, did a lot more than other inventors but in the world of patents
-- if you don't publish you don't get the recognition.  There are some
minor wiring differences on the Oudin and Tesla coils, but essentially both
are RF transformers.  The Oudin coil was typically higher current with
lower potential output than the classic Tesla coil.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net