[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Castor oil

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 16, 1998 8:55 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Castor oil

Alfred & all,

Castor oil is used as a premium dielectric fluid in capacitors used at
higher frequencies and for pulse discharge applications because it has a
relatively high dielectric constant AND because it also has a very
non-linear power factor which markedly decreases with respect to
frequency from DC to about 80 kHz. Above this frequency. losses begin to
climb, but only relatively slowly.

Fortunately, minimal losses actually occur precisely in the range of
Tesla Coil use! In the 70 kHz - 200 kHz region losses are only about
.02% or 0.0002. Mineral oil based transformer oil typically has a loss
of between 0.003% and 0.05% (Exxon Univolt 60 and Shell Diala-X) in the
same range. A major problem with Castor oil, however, is that the
electrical grade variety is available only from a single source at a
price about 10X that of mineral oil. However, if you've already got it,
use it with confidence.

by Frank Clark, John Wiley & Sons, 1962, 1218pp, and manufacturers data
sheets for Shell and Exxon.

-- Bert --