[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Kapton?

----------
From:  Bert Pool [SMTP:bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, March 14, 1998 3:48 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Kapton?

I'm sure someone else on the list will jump in with the dielectric
constant and voltage ratings of Kapton.  I just wanted to mention
that this insulation has been extensively used throughout the
aerospace industry to insulate the wiring in both aircraft and
spacecraft.  Unfortunately, it has been shown to fail in a
catastrophic mode.  Once the thin insulation has been compromised due
to a nick or excessive flexing, and an arc is created, the insulation
vaporizes, contributing to even more arcing.  In a mater of seconds
the arc can travel down between adjacent wires, causing a tremendous
amount of spreading electrical failure.  Several aircraft crashes and
loss of life was directly traced to failure of Kapton insulated wire.
 I have enough shorts between my adjacent wires in my coils without
compounding the failures with Kapton wire failing in catastrophic
mode, thank you!

bert pool

Bert Pool
TCBFW