[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

variacs

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 12, 1998 1:36 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: variacs

Do it empirically... Hook up a variable load and load the variac up until
it starts to get too warm. Figure the time constant with all the iron and
copper is probably 10 minutes or so, so don't run up the current too fast.
Give it time to stabilize at each load setting, then disconnect the power
and measure the temperature with one of those quick reading kitchen
thermometer probes. You can probably go to 100 degrees C safely(?)
depending on the insulation class.