[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Questions of Damage

----------
From:  Gary Lau  11-Mar-1998 0741 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 11, 1998 6:58 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re. Questions of Damage

>From:  Dan Ressler [SMTP:danz_da_man-at-hotmail-dot-com]
>
>Hello list,
>Im lookin to up the power of my coil.  At the moment Im using a
>15kv/30ma and I want to add more, but I am extremely paranoid about
>damaging things by having power goin back into the line.  Im using air
>chokes, a line filter made out of the noise filter that goes on a
>monitor cord (I dont know if it has any affect), and of course a safetly
>gap.  I know most wouldnt give it a second thought on such a small coil
>(4"x23" with #28 wire, a "getto gap"- 2 gaps in series, 2 bolts with a
>section of pipe in the middle; have gotten 15" sparks).  But anyway I
>have to convince my dad it will be ok to up the power.....is it?  Give
>your thoughts, thnx.
>Dan

I believe that having a very solid earth ground is vital to protecting
against unwanted nasties going through your house wiring.  Even so, I
always unplug my computer, ESPECIALLY THE PHONE CABLE TO MODEM, cable TV
box, cordless phones, garage door opener and all cables to it.  I've
heard too many stories of appliance damage, despite the most diligent
efforts at line filtering.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA