[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

my Pyrex coil (Been there, done that) :-((

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 09, 1998 8:30 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: my Pyrex coil (Been there, done that) :-((

Hi Homer,
        BIG CAUTION!  The voltages Tesla Coils produce can blow right
through glass!  I made a small TC once in a large oil filled jar.  Blew a
nice 1 inch hole right through the side of the jar and oiled my patio.
Also, beware that the dielectric constant of oil and glass is higher than
air, so the outside of the glass will charge to a very high potential.  This
further increases the danger of blowing through the glass.  If you look at
the tables, a layer of glass that "should" withstand say 500,000 volts would
be 2.5 inches thick!  If you were really having a bad day the oil could also
ignite.

        Terry