[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Lots of electrolytics...

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, March 06, 1998 1:03 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Lots of electrolytics...

> ----------

They still do.. Call up the electrooptics division in Salem MA
(800)950-3441 and ask for the Linear Flashlamps brochure. While you are at
it, ask for the High Energy Switches and Electro Explosive Devices
brochure.

The ultimate reference, cheap at the $17 price, is Edgerton's book:
Electronic Flash, Strobe from MIT press...

> > The Radio Shack
> > xenon flash tube 272-1145 may work but is listed as a 4 watt-sec
maximum
> > flash energy. Anode voltage is from 200 - 400 V. Trigger voltage is
4kV.

> Trigger voltage of any spark gap-type switch (including thyratrons,
> trigatrons,
> flashtubes, etc) should always be >/= 10X the voltage across the switch
> for
> low jitter (repeatable turn-on time) operation.

And, a real fast rise time on the trigger pulse helps too....

> > If you do try this method, please let us
> > know what the extreme maximum flash energy possible with the Radio
Shack
> > flash tube is. You may be able to trade higher flash energy for lower
life
> > cycles.
There is some info on the web (do an alta vista search for strobes) about
the empirically determined max energy for the radio shack flash tubes. I
can't recall where it is though.

> Absolutely. I bet the RadShak flashtube would switch 100 watt-seconds...
> once.
I've switched 50 Joules with the Radio Shack tube and had a life time of
100's of flashes. Forced air cooling and low rep rate though (the
electrodes sputter onto the walls and the seals soften). 4 Joules is a
pretty conservative rating for that tube assuming it is firing at 60 Hz, I
think. I've even had the strobe circuit not quench and make a low power
xenon arc lamp (does get the series R in the charging circuit get hot
though...).