[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

capacitor discharge

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, March 06, 1998 12:39 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: capacitor discharge

to:  Charles

Have read your articles -- very informative.

The Handbook of Chemistry & Physics will give you a chart (local library)
to provide the spacing data, however, these charts do assume a near perfect
sphere without any pits or sharp edges --something a trailer hitch ball
might have.  Many HV discharge electrodes used in impulse (Marx) type
generators are hard chromium plated -- usually only .001 inch thick is
sufficient.  Instead of trying to pull the plex out you might consider a
solenoid to slam one electrode closer rapidly.  If you try to pull the plex
out no matter how fast you try it the electron speed is much faster.  End
result will be the gap will fire around the edges of the plex and the shock
wave will shatter it rapidly.  We have made impulse generators and used 3
electrode "triggered" spark gaps in which the center electrode is insulated
and positioned inside one of the main electrodes.  It fires and creates a
small EM disturbance and intense UV light in the local area which triggers
the main discharge.  The 3rd trigger gap is usually fired with an auto
ignition coil with a series standoff cap.  Use extreme caution -- this bank
will kill you or blow your arm off in an instant if you forget to discharge
it or it "recharges" overnight by itself and you fail to discharge it.