[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier #13 and a small coil.

----------
From:  richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 5:27 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnifier #13 and a small coil.

At 11:56 AM 3/4/98 -0600, you wrote:

>----------

Thanks for the kind words regarding the recent efforts.  The real key, as I
have mentioned, is to set the gap to fire well below the peak NST voltage
and then inch the variac up to where a scope shows a more or less maximum
number of firings per half cycle.  Note**  You can go on almost forever
upward in voltage, but there is a point on the dial where a vast increase is
needed to add one more set of firings.  Do not go this high - back off.  My
system, as built, hit the maximum around 43-48volts (3-4 firings per half
cycle).  The next add on was at about 68 volts and the resulting spark
wasn't all that much more impressive or longer.  A delicate balance indeed,
but all else has to work harmoniously with what you have.

Needless to say, the system was silent in operation except for a slight air
rushing  "ssssss"  sound of the multitude of microgaps firing.

Richard Hull, TCBOR