[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PVC, Re. Bert's response on Pyrex

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 03, 1998 8:53 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: PVC,  Re. Bert's response on Pyrex

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Harold & Eleanor,

Welcome aboard! The funet site at
ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/
has a file authored by Richard Quick containing both text and diagrams
of coilform preparation - download coilbld.zip for details.

To summarize, PVC while being an excellent insulator when dry, also
tends to absorb water out of the atmosphere. Pretreatment consists of
drying the coilform either via heatlamps, or if a small coilform, in an
oven to drive out the moisture, then sealing it with a coat or two of
oil-based clear gloss polyurethane finish. (BTW, this will also work
with simple cardboard coilforms, but the voltage standoff capability is
not as great as for PVC).
Pretreatment is not necessary if you use a polystyrene, polycarbonate,
or acrylic coilform. Cutting 1/4" slots is not necessary, and may
actually limit your coil's capability to handle very high output
voltages. Leave the coilform intact - the losses from the PVC are
minimal and you need the insulating properties that a continuous
coilform provides.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --