[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RSG Question

----------
From:  Julian Green [SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent:  Thursday, June 18, 1998 9:02 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: RSG Question

Yes by increasing the number of gap firings per mains cycle. The values
of 0.88uF was calculated assuming two gap firings per main cycle.

The tank cap is 0.03uF.   The rotary cap closes roughly 6 times per mains
cycle (50Hz).   There are two stationary electrodes and two rotating
electrodes.   The electrodes align every half revolution.

6*50 = 300 BPS
300/2=150 Revs per second or 9000RPM.

The electrodes are 1/8" diameter
The electrodes rotate on a 6" diameter wheel
Electrode velocity: 2826 inches per second
Time electrodes are aligned 44uS

The coil does not need balasting - the resistance of the main wiring
is enough.

Why does the current meter read a relativly constant current if I
adjust the RSG speed by a factor of 2.  If I run the spark gap too
slow then I get serious kick back problems and blowen fuses.  Is my
spark gap mechanically quenching and limiting the current?

If I use a RQ type spark gap on my pole pig then I get kick back
problems and more blown fuses.

Julian Green