[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strike Rail

----------
From:  Vivian [SMTP:V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 16, 1998 6:14 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Strike Rail

Hello All,
    As I am expecting to give a demo of my coil to a few friend this weekend
I decided to clean it up.  The copper pipe had become corroded by
finger prints and the like.  So I cleaned it all up and while I was at it I
tidied the plumbing to the strike rail.  Well having put it back together
and
fired it up,  DISASTER.  Sparks shooting of the secondary and between
windings (8" in the middle).  So I checked all connections but nothing was
wrong.

The strike rail is 10mm copper pipe and mounted at the outer most
diameter and about 2" above the primary
(See http://www-dot-netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/uktesla.html perspex masterpiece).

The strike rail is not a complete turn with about 2" gap to avoid shorted
turn problems.
I changed it from the picture.  This time my plumbing came up to the rail
via a nice curve then fitted into a right angle joint (running
horizontally).  I concluded it could only be due to this.  So instead of the
right angle pipe joint I curved it with a radius of about 3".  Now the
problem has gone away.

The reason for passing on this info is that I know some people have suffered
from breakout in the middle of the secondary but I do not recall any mention
of strike rail geometry's as possible problems.

Regards

Viv Watts UK.