[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

H-Bridge Rotary. Was Last Erg.

----------
From:  Bert Pool [SMTP:bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 09, 1998 4:57 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: H-Bridge Rotary.  Was Last Erg.

Homemade oil filled caps are where need this airtight case  ;>)

> A short description of my setup - it has been some
> time since the last go round [:-)
>
> A variac feeds the HV transformers, as we still need
> voltage control to keep things from getting out of hand.
> HV AC goes straight to a diode bridge, then through an
> RF filter to a storage cap, 1.8uF -at- 60 kV. The primary
> resonance cap is alternately pulse charged positive and
> negative repetitively by the rotary gap.

Ah, a DC system - a horse of a different color!

>This primary cap
> is now 0.012 uF, so each bang takes about 1% of the
> energy in the storage cap.
>
> There is never any short across the transformer output
> as there is when the gap fires on an AC coil. The faster
> the rotary turns, the more times per second the small
> cap is charged; and the more current is necessary to
> keep the storage cap full, but the transformer never sees
> intermittent low impedance loads, and thus, I say, doesn't
> need a current limiter.

You are right - but you will require a rather large iron core inductor after your
diodes to protect your bridge.  John Freau and Greg Leyh have some
experience in this area that they could offer you - I have not built a DC system
and have no practical experience here, so I'll shut up.

> Except in case of component failure, where I'm hoping
> a circuit breaker will do.
>
> Cheers ...
> LR

Bert Pool