[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

813 tube coil (comments on PSU)

----------
From:  Robert W. Stephens [SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, June 04, 1998 10:59 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 813 tube coil (comments on PSU)

A much safer place to install the 0-1 Amp ammeter is in the center
tap return to ground from the filament transformer winding to the
oscillator power tube. The positive meter terminal goes to the
transformer center tap. The meter should be bypassed with a 0.1 uF
cap rated at 600-1000 volts.
The meter can be installed normally in the metal grounded chassis
without special insulation techniques, and if it goes opem the coil
just stops operating.  The disadvantage to this is that the meter
will read combined grid and plate current of the tube, probably not a
big deal in this application.  It will certainly give a good
indication of system tuning, loading and how hard the tube is being
thrashed.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel: 1-519-925-1771   Fax:
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~