[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Toroid

----------
From:  Vivian [SMTP:V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 03, 1998 5:37 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  New Toroid

Hi All,
    For those at the UK teslathon you may recall my Tesla coil was the
perspex (plexey glass) looking one.  I had two stainless steel dishes with
rims ground off as the top C.  You may also recall I had a fixed ground
point and also a magnet breakout point on the dishes to achieve at best 22".
Well at the meeting I bought two fibre glass halves of a toroid from Tim
Davey.  I've glued them together (one whole pack of epoxy glue) and finished
tonight covering them in aluminium foil.  I sandwiched two MDF disks in the
middle, covered in copper foil to connect all the foil segments (they don't
all make contact with each other).

The resonant frequency has increased from 180Khz to 206Khz so less C
compared with before.  But now no need for breakout points with streamers
dancing around everywhere.  Longest strike was measured at 30" (this is with
10KV 50ma Neon).  Tim's toroid forms are of excellent quality being only a
millimetre or so out off round before sanding.  Looking forward to the
larger one I have on order with him.

Regards

Viv Watts UK.