[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, May 31, 1998 8:12 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters

  Terry -

  Empirical does mean as you indicated. I should have said that Tesla coil
design is based on both theory and empirical data obtained from experiments.

  The list that you show of what can be found by calculation or computer
simulation is what the JHCTES program can do. I started with a menu like
other programs available today. However, I realized that with the menu type
of program  making a change in one of the menu parameters required changes
in other menu parameters that could lead to design errors. To avoid these
errors I combined and coordinated everything into one comprehensive program
and called it the JHCTES Tesla Coil computer program.

  The JHCTES program starts with a watts input, does the calculations for 46
TC parameters, and produces an output of spark length. No other program
available today can do this much TC designing at one time. It has been well
received by coilers.

  As for eventually finding all of the TC parameters theoretically, that
depends on how you define theoretical equations. For example, Ohm's law  V =
R x I  is a theoretical equation (why?) but the resistance equation   R =
pL/A  is not a theoretical equation. The resistance factor "p" of a material
can only be found by tests. There are many other TC parameters of this nature,

  Thank you for the favorable comments regarding my books. They are still
selling after several years so other coilers share your feelings about them.
I have always believed and so did Tesla that the Tesla coil was a
transformer and did not operate according to 1/4 wave theory. Tesla coils
use magnetic circuits. Quarter wave theory does not.

  John Couture