[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RF Bypassing at neon secondary.

----------
From:  Michael Veach [SMTP:veachm-at-sunyit.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 03, 1998 7:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  RF Bypassing at neon secondary.

Hi All.

	I am new to the list and have benefitted immensely from all that I
have read so far. But I have some questions about bypassing my 15kV tranny
and safety gapping it to prevent destroying it.

	First off, what is the best bypassing method to prevent rf from
leaking back into my tranny? I have heard discussions of "doorknob" type
capacitors used in this application, but they are a special type I've
never heard of before. Could anyone explain these caps and how to use
them? Also, what value should they be to prevent resonance with (and
destruction of) the neon secondary?

	Secondly, how do I correctly set up my safety gaps? I understand
there should be a gap between each "hot" bushing and ground.

	Third, I've seen a posting by someone who has High-Voltage
insulators for sale. Would you post what kinds you have and your address
again? I need some good insulators. Also, if you have any HV cable
suitable for this application I need some of that also. Sign cable doesn't
seem adequate and isn't very flexible either.

	I just thought of this also. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to cover the terminals on my neon bushings after hooking up the wires?
I am trying to reduce or eliminate exposed connections and corona leakage.

	Thanks to all of you for your imput and postings to this list! It
has helped me a great deal!

Mike Veach.