[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Silicon oil?

----------
From:  David Dean [SMTP:deano-at-corridor-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 4:34 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Silicon oil?

Center
>San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu

Michael,
The silicon oil is well worth keeping...Dow Corning 200 used to go for about
$60 a gal. back in the seventys
if memory serves.  We used to use the stuff as fuser oil in copiers. It
should be clear. Unless it is contaminated
I don't know why anyone would change it...it is an excellent lubricant for
some plastics, also teflon. It has excellent thermal qualities as well.
Some of the electric space heaters that look like old timey radiators have
silicon oil in them as a heat storage/transfer medium.   Sili oil would be
better than mineral oil for transformers etc for that very reason.